How I found twice the life with half the stuff . . .

Towards the end of 2009, I began feeling overwhelmed by life. There weren't enough hours in the day to get everything done. I was crowded and feeling like a hostage in my own life. So, I began a bizarre experiment. Although it may be a bit presumptuous, I'm betting that I will have twice the life with half the stuff. Join me on my journey as I cleanse my life of clutter and distractions and find the true life that God intended for me.


Monday, January 4, 2010

The Impetus for the Intervention . . .

I don’t think of myself as an unusual girl. A single young woman in my late twenties, God has blessed me with a fantastic career, a supportive family and a beautiful home. I purchased my house in the summer of 2008. With three bedrooms , two baths and in some of the most redundant track housing you’ve ever seen, it’s far from palatial but it is mine 100%. What’s amazing about this house is the ridiculous amount of stuff I’ve acquired in such a short time. Prior to owning this house, I lived in a tiny one bedroom apartment and actually downsized from that into a roommate situation that limited my stuff to one room.


When I moved in to this house, I had 2 or 3 carloads of belongings. I remember thinking, how would I ever get enough stuff to make this house feel like a home and not a sparsely furnished hotel room. Well, needless to say, I rose to the challenge. In the past year and a half, I’ve managed to increase 10 fold. In my defense, this wasn’t all from purchasing and I’m not a uncontrollable shopaholic. A significant amount of my belongings came from consolidating. I had stuff with me when I moved. I had stuff in my parent’s barn left over from living totally on my own. I had stuff in my childhood bedroom. Heck, I had stuff I didn’t even know I had waiting for me at my grandma’s house where it had been sitting until I got “a place of my own.” I’m also the “I’ll take that” girl. You know the one – she is always quick to take someone else’s cast offs because she’s sure she’ll find a use for it someday. Combine that with my nature – imagine a zombie made up partially of HGTV, Martha Stewart, and Donna Reed – I’ve created an environment burgeoning with stuff.

My happy, hospitable home is at risk. My closets are overflowing, I don’t have room in my kitchen cabinets for food, and my shelves are so packed, I couldn’t fit another book, game or DVD on them. I’m determined to fight my American consumerist self and reduce my stuff by half. I know it’s going to be a challenge. I’m terribly sentimental. I’m a fanatical crafter (always a stuff magnet). And I’m a bit of a boyscout – “Be Prepared” and all that – which means I’m hesitant to part with anything I might possibly need eventually. But I’m determined to own my stuff and not let my stuff own me. So, let the challenge begin!

6 comments:

  1. Jessica,
    I am so excited about this. I often lament about the American consumerism that is plaguing our country and find myself wanting to downsize, consolidate, and otherwise rid myself of the things of this worlds. I'm already somewhat of a minimalist, much to my husband's annoyance (where did this go? oh, i donated it/threw it out/recycled it), but I always feel there is another level I can go to to be better in this area of "stuff." Keep the interwebs of facebook updated on your progress. I'm excited to see what God is going to do in you and through you in the coming year. May half of your stuff bring 10 fold the blessings.
    Love,
    Molly
    (PS - it has been too long since we have seen each other! Fox seems like decades ago, although it really hasn't been that long. My sis lives in your neck of the woods so I will let you when when I am planning a visit and we should catch up over some coffee. I'm miss your laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you're back to blogging, Jess! I miss you lots and look forward to reading the things you're doing and thinking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're inspiring me to want to blog with purpose! I just added you to my google reader. Excited to see what comes next and what will be downsized!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica, your journey to living with less reminds me of the work of Lynne Twist. Lynne's the author of "The Soul of Money" and the principle of sufficiency: "If you let go of trying to get more of what you don’t really need, it frees up oceans of energy to make a difference with what you have. When you make a difference with what you have, what you have expands." You may want to check out a recent video on Lynne's website...

    http://www.gazelles.tv/player.cfm?fid=41

    ReplyDelete
  5. Due to the ridiculousness of facebook and a bit of down time at work today, I found yoru blog! Love it! Hope to catch up sometime in the relative near future. :) El and I have been talking about living simply and simplifying all of life for a last few months and looks like you are doing the same thing! Hope all is well.

    - N

    ReplyDelete